Time for Equality is pleased to take part in the Luxembourg-based grassroots campaign to promote greater engagement among citizens of the European Union and to encourage a higher voter turnout in the next European Elections in May.
The main aim is to bring people together, promote the act of voting itself, the act of engaging in the democratic process; and the act of doing so in a conscious and fully informed way. Learn more about the global campaign on www.thistimeimvoting.eu.
Did you know that EU nationals residing in Luxembourg may register to vote for Luxembourg’s 6 future MEPs on 26 May 2019?
“My Community, My Vote” – our 3 campaign initiatives :
During February, Time for Equality will host 3 major initiatives, using cinema, poetry and a fun quiz night to put Europe and Europeans under the spotlight. In addition to these, we have produced a video and will be present at various local events to meet with residents. Would you like to come along or to help us organise these actions? Send us an email to email@example.com.
- Screening of the 2018 Lux Film Prize winner ”Woman at War” by Icelandic director Benedikt Erlingsson – on 13/02/2019
- Poetry workshop with Maltese poet, translator, and creative activist Antoine Cassar – on 23/02/2019
- Euroquiz – spend a fun evening while testing your knowledge of the European Union – on 25/02/2019
“My Community, My vote” is supported by the Office luxembourgeois de l’accueil et de l’intégration (OLAI).
Learn more about the elections and the EU:
The European Parliament is the only institution of the European Union that is directly elected by EU citizens aged 18 or older.
The 2019 European elections will allow EU citizens to elect the 705 MEPs to sit in the European Parliament, including the six representatives for Luxembourg. Voters can vote either for a party list or for named candidates.
Help shape Europe’s future and vote!
Why vote for Luxembourg’s 6 representatives?
More than 80% of Luxembourg’s law stems from the European Union legislation. The European Parliament votes on all EU legislation and therefore has a strong impact on your daily life.
Each Luxembourg MEP represents more than 85.000 citizens. Each representative carries the same weight as a French or German MEPs for instance.
Ahead of the 2019 European elections, you can discover the impact of the European Union in your region and in your daily life. Learn more about what Europe does for you.
Who can register to vote:
In order to be allowed to vote in the European elections in Luxembourg, one must be an EU or a Luxembourg national, be at least 18 years old on election day (26 May) and be a resident of the Grand Duchy. Learn more on icanvote.lu.
How to register to vote:
It is easy to register to vote – you can either register online on MyGuichet.lu or in person at your local authority office (commune). Full details are available here.
As part of the registration process, EU nationals will formally declare, among other things, they will vote in the European elections only in Luxembourg. On the contrary, EU nationals who have already been registered to vote in the European elections in the past don’t need to register again. For Luxembourg nationals, voting is compulsory by law.
Once registered to vote, postal voting is possible by request. Each voter is free to decide whether they wish to have a postal vote or go to a polling stations on election day. Check out this FAQ for more details.
Deadline to register:
The closing date and time for registration to vote for all EU nationals living in Luxembourg is Thursday 28 February 2019 at 5pm.
Top photo: © European Union 2019
- As part of our campaign ''My Community, My Vote'', Time for Equality has the pleasure to host a special poetry workshop with London-born Maltese poet, translator, and creative activist Antoine Cassar. When (*) : Saturday 23/03/2019 from 11:00 to 13:00. Where: The Urban Office, 2-4 Rue du Nord, L-2229 Luxembourg Registration:…
- As part of our campaign ”My Community, My Vote”, Time for Equality has the pleasure to organise a special screening of the 2018 Lux Film Prize winner ''Woman at War'' by Icelandic director Benedikt Erlingsson. When: Wednesday 13/02/2019 from 18:30 Where: Cine Utopia, 16 Avenue de la Faïencerie, L-1510 Luxembourg Registration:…